Monday, October 7, 2013

O'Keefe's Slide to O.P.P

"O'Keefe's Slide"/"An Suisin Ban"/"The Star Above the Garter"/"The Weavers"  The Chieftains
       The Chieftains 4
"O Caminho Do Bem"  Tim Maia
       World Psychedelic Classics 4: The Existential Soul of Tim Maia: Nobody Can Live Forever
"O Kanawailua Lani"  The Pahinui Brothers  The Pahinui Bros.
"O Stella"  PJ Harvey  Dry
"O Superman (For Massenet)"  Laurie Anderson  Big Science
"O Valencia!"  The Decemberists  The Crane Wife
"O, Dana"  Big Star  Third/Sister Lovers
"O.D."  The Last Poets  This Is Madness
"O.N.E."  Yeasayer  Odd Blood
"O.P.P."  Naughty By Nature  Whatever: The '90s Pop and Culture Box

So the Jackson Five's "ABC" is unquestionably one of the great hooks in pop history. A throwaway rap about infidelity is rendered awesome based on clever sampling.

Now, before I am labeled a curmudgeon,I really am not judging and certainly am not arguing that all hip hop or sampling is merely theft. Quite the opposite. I vehemently defend the turntable as a legitimate musical instrument to all comers. The isolation and integration of loops and samples is the great musical contribution of the last 30 years. Sampling has evolved to its own art form - DJ shadow and Girl Talk are both ostensibly sampling artists but what they do both is legitimate independent art and unrelated to the other in any real way. 

That said, you can't listen to naughty by nature and NOT hear the hook from "ABC" - is it homage? Is it theft? Does it matter? ( I assume it might matter to the Jacksons)

So I have been working at my job for a year. I think on the whole it was a good move to leave the court. I don't know that private practice is ultimately where I end my life - the commitment to the dollar is necessary in a way that is sometimes a bit overwhelming. I don't mean that getting paid is wrong. I mean more that chasing dollars from clients is both constant and frustrating. The life of a private practice attorney seems to be one of constant conflict - with opposing counsel, with the court, and even with your own clients. I am not sure I am built for it.

Of course, with all of that said, I just keep doing it.  In fact I am trying to take on more criminal cases, because those folks will be so much more pleasant than the civil clients I have currently been dealing with.  I actually have a new scale for measuring lawyer horribleness.  When I meet a lawyer, I try to picture him as a criminal defense attorney, and then I try to figure out what kind of criminal he would have to represent that would make me want to spend time with the lawyer rather than his client. 

No comments:

Post a Comment